A Weekend of Races

Our weekend was filled with races.  Foot races, car races, and running around crazy races!

Saturday morning, I ran in an Armed Forces 5K at a local Veteran's Park.  It was a really fun run.  I wore my new shoes for essentially the first time and loved them.  If you're looking to buy new running shoes and haven't tried minimalist shoes, I'd suggest trying them and getting the Brooks Pure Cadence (if you pronate like me).  They are great!  



I won the 5K with a racing PR of 22:20!  I was so proud of myself.  The course was fun and it was for a great cause!  (Notice the boys having fun in the background!)

I really have enjoyed racing these last few months.  It's something I've always wanted to do regularly, but haven't.  It makes it more enjoyable because KT is so supportive and encourages me to participate and is always there at the start and finish.  I know not everyone has this type of support and I am so grateful and thankful for it (and him!) everyday!

While we waited around for the awards, we all ran around.  The boys had a great time racing and I think K.C. ran a mile or so after my race.  It may be selfish of me, but I really hope the boys will like to run and want to run in some races with me when they get older.

Saturday night, KT and I had the opportunity to go to another race, a NASCAR race.  I hadn't ever been to a race and neither one of us is really into racing, but we were offered great tickets and pit passes from one of my organization's major supporters.  It wasn't an opportunity to turn down.



We dropped the boys off at KT's parents and went to the mall to do some Mother's Day shopping before going to the race around 4.  I really had no idea what to expect except that it would be loud.  Our hospitality location was in the infield between turns one and two.  We got to park right beside our building and were literally 50 feet from the race track.  

Seeing the pits was really cool.  We got to see some cars go through the inspection and into pit lane.  I had no idea that race cars don't actually have lights (they're stickers/paint made to look like lights) until Saturday night!  

  

The next GoDaddy.com girl?

After spending time in the pits, we walked back to our spot and enjoyed socializing with our group.  Once the race started, we ended up sitting outside at a picnic table to watch it.  We also we used scanners to listen to the drivers and their crews communicate.  I left mine on Danica Patrick's channel most of the time.  It was neat listening to her crew chief give her pointers, encourage her, and direct her.  With about 90 laps left, we went inside so I could warm up.  After Jimmy Johnson won, we went back outside and watched a great fireworks show as he drove by going to Victory Lane.  It was definitely a new experience for me and I'm so glad we got to enjoy it!



On Sunday, we celebrated our moms and my grandmas.  I made broccoli salad and a chocolate eclair for lunch with my parents and grandparents.  Sunday night, we went to Kevin's sister's to celebrate with his mom.  It was nice spending time with and celebrating the women who have molded me into who I am.  I'm so lucky to have such strong, confident, faithful, and loving mother's in my life - my mom and grandmas, Mary, and Meredith.