RAWR! K.C.'s FIVE!

We celebrated K.C.'s 5th birthday last Sunday with a dinosaur theme!  He asked for two things: a caramel cake and dinosaurs on it.

I looked online and in several party stores for some dinosaur themed decorations, but I couldn't find anything I liked. We bought a generic birthday banner, purchased some inflatable dinosaurs, dinosaur skeletons, and treat bag goodies through Amazon, and got lots of balloons from a local party store.  I think it turned out great!



Keeping with the "simplify" theme, I ordered a caramel cake (10 layers!) and then my sister and I (ok, it was mostly Stephanie) decorated it.  We used cookie cutters I ordered from Amazon to cut dinosaurs out of pre-made, colored fondant.  I decided to go with orange, yellow, and purple.  We made balls out of fondant to go around the bottom.  To write on it, I used some store-bought cream cheese icing and colored it orange.  I think it turned out great!



We had barbecue chicken and potato salad (delicious! and made by Kevin's dad), green beans, and rolls to eat and a seven layer taco dip (made by my mom) as an appetizer.  It was all so good!

K.C. decided he wanted to open his presents before we ate cake and you know the birthday boy always gets what he wants!







After opening presents, it was time for cake!  The boys both love to blow out candles, so we used some "Happy Birthday" candles from Target along with a 5!


Here's our attempt at a family picture.


I mentioned before that my dad cuts cake better than anyone else in the world.  Here's proof!


The party ended with bursting a pinata!

I wish I had a picture of the treat bags we made, but I don't.  I used yellow bags and put a foam dinosaur sticker on each one (I got these at Hobby Lobby) and wrote each person's name on a dinosaur.  Since the boys only have girl cousins, I wanted to make sure they'd like their treats.  Everybody got dinosaur stickers, a dinosaur sticker scene book, candy, gum, and mini dinosaurs.  The girls also got nail polish and lip gloss and the boys got trains.

We had a great time celebrating out sweet K.C.!

Labels: , ,