Teachable Moments

Have you ever had one of those moments that just smacks you in the face, and after it, you think "wow"?  I had one of those last night.



Kevin had an early softball game, so the boys and I went by Chickfila (we love it) and then I took them to watch him play.  Although we didn't end up getting to watch our church's team play because of a forfeit, I had an awesome opportunity to talk with the boys about Jesus and church in the car.

One of the boys mentioned something about how he knew that we need to go to church, but he doesn't always want to go.  (If you're like us and have a 3 and 5 year old, you might can relate to this somehow.)  When he said that, it kind of hit me.  You know, I don't always want to do things I know I need to do.  I will admit that there are times when instead of focusing on the message during church, I'm thinking about the things I need to do.  (I know that sounds bad, but I'm really being honest here.)

I took that opportunity to share the above thought with the boys.  I think sometimes it's easy to forget that our precious little children are also precious little people.  As adults, we sometimes have difficulty paying attention and we sometimes don't want to do things.  As children, it's even harder.

As we talked, they asked a few questions.

We were able to talk about Jesus and how God sent Him to live on the earth and not make any mistakes.

We talked about how people didn't believe He was who He said He was and how they hung Him on a cross to die.

We talked about how God raised Him up three days later and how these true events save us from our mistakes.

We talked about how we use an eraser to erase mistakes we make when we're doing our homework and how Jesus is just like that eraser and erases our mistakes and forgets about them.

We talked about how we pray, read Bible stories, and go to church to worship God and show Him that we love Him.

We talked about how the two most important things in the world are how we love Jesus and how we love our families.

We talked about how it doesn't matter how many trophies we win, how many awards we get, what we do for our jobs, how much money we have, or what kind of cars we have because all that really matters is loving Jesus and living for Him.

After the three minutes we spent talking about the above, we got out of our car and walked to see Kevin.  I whispered a silent prayer of thanks for that teachable moment and those sweet hearts.  I pray that our boys grow up knowing and living their lives as men who know how to love Jesus and know how to love their families.  And I pray that we live our lives showing them how to do just that.


Labels: , , ,