Sapelo Vacation Part Two

If you missed the recap of the first part of our vacation yesterday, check it out here.

On Tuesday, we decided we'd spend the day on the water. It was absolutely beautiful!

We headed out to Doboy Sound and rode around for a while. We decided to dock at a pretty island across from Sapelo. While Kevin caught some bait, I walked around the shell line of the island. There were conchs everywhere! When I say this place was undisturbed, I'm serious.

After finding fifty or more conchs, we made our way back to the boat. When we got in, we noticed a small shark swimming around our minnow bucket. Kevin decided he was going to try to catch it in his throw net. He threw the net, but came up sharkless (which was fine by me!). He decided he wanted to try again, so he put a minnow on his line and in a second, the shark was back and bit the line. I have the whole thing on video. It was crazy.

He pulled the shark into the boat to take the hook out of it's mouth. (If you're wondering if I was scared about this part - yes, I was.) We had to take a few pictures before he let it go.

We drove around some more and ate some lunch (if that's what you want to call peaches and a Clif Bar) while we (Kevin) fished.

We made it back to the house in time to get ready to go to the Reynolds Mansion for a tour. Barbara works there and offered to take us to see the house while there wasn't a group visiting.

The mansion or South End House has been there for over a hundred years. The R.J. Reynolds family purchased it in the 1900's and his widow sold it to the state years ago.

It was pretty, but it wasn't what I expected. I've toured many of the historical homes in Charleston and I expected the Reynolds Mansion to have been restored in the same manner as those homes. It wasn't, but that doesn't mean we didn't have fun exploring. Well, except until we got to the part where we went into the basement. I'm claustrophobic and can't stand to be in elevators or tight places including a basement. I think that was Kevin's favorite part - there was a bowling alley and a whole room that was where Reynolds kept his hunting guns.

A statue in the Circus Room. Yes, you read that correctly. There is a Circus Room.

Later that night, Barbara brought dinner over for us. It was delicious and the pecan pie was to die for!

On Wednesday, our last full-day on the island, we decided to split our time between the beach and the water.

We started out at the beach. We determined that we must have walked about 10 miles that morning, about 4.5 up the beach and back and then the .5 mile to our car each way. The beach was just littered with sand dollars. They were everywhere. We brought home so many conchs and sand dollars. I don't know what we're going to do with all of them!

This was part of an artificial reef from our coast (SC) that had washed up on the beach. 

We went back to the house after the beach to grab some lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon and early evening on the boat. We rode around, stopped back at the other island to look for more treasure and then fished.

When we were riding back in, we noticed a few pods of dolphin. We turned the boat off and just watched them put on a show. It was like Sea World: In Nature. It was really cool!

We had to leave early on Thursday to make it across during high tide. The boys had soccer that night and we didn't want to miss it and Kaden had Doughnuts for Dad on Friday.

We absolutely had a great time on our vacation. It was definitely unlike anywhere we have ever been before. It was a great way to spend our first anniversary - early!

Labels: , , ,