Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Home for the Holidays 5K Recap

This weekend, I ran in the Home for the Holidays 5K. This was the first year of this run and proceeds went to built a home for a family in need.

When I got up Saturday, it was already in the 60s. I went to the race in a tank and shorts and wore my dri-fit Nike hat because of the off and on rain.

My goal for this race was to have fun and if I could, finish in under 20 minutes. For some reason, the sub-20 minute 5K in a race eludes me. I can run it in my neighborhood, on another course and on my treadmill (where I've gotten below 19), but for some reason, I hoover right about the 20 minute mark in races. I don't know if it's because I psych myself out or if I hold back too long or start off too fast. Regardless, it's driving me nuts and one day I'm going to break it in a race.

The race started off great. About half a mile in, it really started to rain. I was glad I had my hat at that point. There was also a 10K which led to some confusion on the course. The course was the same as another big local race, but the markings weren't easy to read. I was running with a friend who was running the 10K and when he didn't break off where I thought the 10K broke off, I, along with some others, got confused. I ended up losing 20 or 30 seconds at this point. Due to this and the super wet roads, I didn't expect to get sub-20, but didn't want a lousy run either (I had one on this course last month with my slowest race time in a year or so).



I ended up finishing in 20:50 which I was really happy with considering the rain and the mixup on direction. I was first female and third overall.


The boys had fun watching a train after the race and Kaden was super excited about the hot chocolate and candy cane that came in my winner's mug!

What motivates you to break your running goals?

2 comments:

Sarah Tucker said...

You are a rockstar!! I just need to get plain motivated!

Ashley Robyn said...

You look fabulous lady! So proud of you and excited for you! What a sweet picture with you and the boys too. Hope you are having a great week!