Monday, January 27, 2014

Another Cold Race

This weekend, I ran one of my favorite races. It's a trail race that benefits a local school that's hosted by a church. I really love trail races for some reason.

It was freezing this weekend. When I woke up Saturday morning, my iPhone said it felt like 8 degrees outside. I am not a lover of cold weather unless it's supposed to snow (and we have a chance for that the next two days!), so I really had to get psyched up to run this race. Thankfully, the race didn't begin until 10, so it had time to warm up - to a warm 31 degrees - before the race.

I ended up wearing a pair of Kevin's warm pants he wears for duck hunting under my running tights, two shirts, a jacket, ear warmer, toboggan and gloves. Since the race wound through trails in the woods, I didn't have wind to contend with. Given the cold, the length of the race (it's about .15 long) and the giant mountain that's about 2.5 miles in, I didn't have a set time goal, I just wanted to finish faster than I did last year.

We hung around inside a building until the very last minute trying to stay warm. When it was time for the race to start, we all huddled together anxiously awaiting the whistle.

I got off to a good start. The first part of the trail as well as a few places throughout it have gravel. I don't know about you, but gravel terrifies me. I'll jump over roots and run around trees all day long, but I'm scared of twisting my ankle on gravel. I rolled it within the first half mile of this race. In fact, the man that finished behind me said something to me after it about it. When that happened, I just concentrated on landing flat and enjoying the view. I really should try to take some pictures during this race next year.

I felt great throughout the race. There were a few men I normally finish right after in front of me which made me feel good. I think I could've pushed it some and finished faster because I wasn't worn out at the end, but at the end of the day, I was happy.

Last year, when I saw that there were no other women around me, I decided to walk up the hill. Kevin and I had been laughing about it that morning and when I got to the hill, I contemplated walking, but then I noticed the man in front of me was going up slow and I decided it would be my chance to pass him. I hobbled up the hill, but kept running and then flew down, dodging the brightly painted roots all the way. I kept a good pace until the end and was excited when I saw my sweet husband standing near the finish line. (Really, he is so sweet to go to all these races with me. I certainly don't take it for granted!)



I finished in 23:03 which was over 30 seconds faster than last year and great considering the length, trail and hill. I was the first overall female and ninth overall.


2 comments:

Ashley Robyn said...

Girl you are too good! Way to go on the faster time and getting 1st place in the women's division. hehe You are rocking all these awesome runs.

Kristin said...

Go Anna! Impressive, as always! Stay warm in the snow we're getting :)