Sports Medicine Challenge 10K Recap

This past weekend, I raced in one of my favorite races. In the past, I've run the 5K in this race, but this weekend, I opted for the 10K. We don't have a lot of local 10K's, so when we do, I jump at the chance to race them.

I've been battling a cold/sinus thing for the past week and didn't feel great on race morning, so I contemplated dropping down to the 5K, but ultimately, didn't.

I made french toast for my family and I ate two slices of cinnamon toast and two scrambled eggs for breakfast. I've started eating this before the last few races and it seems to work well. I've gotten tired of my oatmeal!

The boys had a soccer game at 10 and the race was at 9, so I went by myself, which is rare. I knew many of the people running though, so that was good.

The weather was perfect for running Saturday morning. It was in the high-50s or low-60s and felt great. The sun didn't peek through the clouds until the last mile, which was nice.

I got to the race about 15 minutes early and had just enough time to pick up my packet, drop the tshirt in my car and stretch well.

The 5K and 10K start at the same time, with the 10K race starting almost a block behind the 5K. I felt really good at the start. It was really fun to be running beside so many of the people in the 5K. It made the race feel larger. By 1.5 miles in, I had passed my friend who was leading the 5K for the ladies. I looked at my watch at this point and was pleased with my time.

By the third mile, I was getting tired. I could feel the drainage (sorry, that's gross, but it's the truth) and I was really just ready to be done. I told myself I was over halfway done and kept on. My pace got slower somewhere around mile 4, but I picked it back up to finish.

I knew this wasn't going to be a PR race for me about halfway through based on how I was feeling. The running part felt good and I didn't feel fatigued, but my body was fighting the cold/allergies and I could tell it was taking it's toll.

I ended up finishing in 44:01 (58 seconds off of my PR) as the first female and 8th overall. All things considered, I was happy with the way I ran.

I did something after this race that I haven't ever done before - I asked if I could get my award early. The award ceremony for this race is always a big production and I enjoy it, but with the boys' soccer game at 10, I wanted to get there to see as much of the game as possible. I made it by half time of the game and enjoyed relaxing during the second half while I watched our cuties play!

Labels: , ,