The ER is no place for me

I spent the day at the ER yesterday. It was not fun. Neither was the kidney stone I had.


I woke up with excruciating pain in my back and abdomen Sunday morning about 6 am. After laying on our cold, tile bathroom floor, drinking some ice cold water and letting an hour pass, the pain subsided. We went back to sleep for about an hour and then got up and went to church. I had dull pain all day, but nothing crazy like that morning, so I didn't really worry about it. I went to the doctor last week for a sinus infection and have been taking some medication for it, so I just assumed it may have been related to that especially since I don't ever take medicine.

Fast forward to yesterday morning. I dropped Kaden off at school and got to work a few minutes early. As I was settling in for the day and looking at emails, that crazy pain started again. By 8:40, I had called Kevin and my co-worker was driving me to the ER. She was a life saver. Kevin got there about five minutes after us.

About half an hour after I got to the ER and after a Tervis full of water, the pain started to leave again. By this point, my dad was there, too. He said it sounded like a kidney stone. He's had one before and I have a family history of them. When the nurse called us back for the initial check of blood pressure and all of that, she said it sounded like a kidney stone, too. I, of course, googled kidney stone and all the signs pointed to it.

Another hour or so later, the pain started back again and was even more intense. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, I think, and at this point, I was shaking uncontrollably and on the verge of tears. No matter how I moved around, nothing would stop the pain.

When we finally made it to the back of the ER, the pain had calmed down tremendously. We laughed because it seemed like when I saw the nurse or doctor, it was much less intense (a good thing if you've ever experienced this). I hadn't taken anything at all for pain (I think the doctor was surprised). I received an IV with a low dosage of pain medication (I'm really a baby about medicine and don't take it unless I absolutely have to) that took it away completely.

A few hours later, I had a CT scan done. They were fairly certain I had a kidney stone, but wanted to check to be sure. While I was lying there during the scan, I just kept praying that if it was a stone, it would be in my bladder already (the thought of having to endure that intensity of pain multiple times until it passed was not appealing). And I kept reciting verses in my head, particularly Exodus 14:14 (The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still.) I can't tell you how much that comforted me.

The doctor came in an hour later and told us that it was in fact a kidney stone, but that it had moved into my bladder. My kidneys were also clear of any other stones which was a relief. He said that more than likely, I experienced all the pain before I had the medicine and that all the water I had been drinking had flushed it there, thankfully. I can't even put into words how relieved I was about that. God definitely answered prayers!

We were able to leave with a few prescriptions for some medications in case this happens again. With a family history, the doctor said it was likely that I could experience another one at some point. I was exhausted last night from the whole day and slightly sore as well, but thankfully, the stone is gone. It was nearly the size of a piece of pepper before it's ground. The boys couldn't understand how something that small would hurt so much! 

I'm so thankful that this ordeal is over. And I have a pretty awesome husband (and family) that took great care of me. 

Labels: