Regaining Speed



I shared earlier this month about our pregnancy loss. While I continue to have good days and bad days emotionally, one of the ways I'm working to feel better is to try to get back to normal in regards to running.

When we decided we were definitely ready to have a baby (after my Grand Prix win in 2014), one of the first things my doctor recommended was that I cut back on my speed. She encouraged me to continue to exercise, but said I needed to slow down. At the time, my typical training pace was less than 7 minutes/mile with a racing pace of an average around 6:30/mile. She suggested I start running 7:15-7:30 miles. This was hard. In fact, it was even harder than running 5:58 mile repeats!

Hesitantly, I listened and slowed down. I definitely didn't run this speed most of the time, but I did try to keep my pace around 7:00/mile. When this didn't seem to have an effect on my fertility, it was suggested that I run less. In peak weeks when the stars align and I can run as much as I want, I'd only run about 20 miles/week which is nothing compared to most runners, but for me, this was tops. I listened again and got to the point where some weeks, I wasn't even running 10 miles.

In October, when I began Clomid, I pretty much stopped running regularly. I would run 2-3 slow miles every few days, but that was it. I even went for 10-12 days without running some. As soon as I saw that positive mark on the pregnancy test, all I wanted to do was sleep and daydream about my new baby, not run in the cold. Plus, I was a little fearful that running while early pregnant wouldn't be good.

All that to say, my fitness has suffered. I gained 2-3 pounds during the almost 11 weeks I was pregnant, but that's all gone now. Now, I'm dealing with getting back to the same level of fitness I'm used to.

My husband would tell you that it's not good when I don't run. I have to agree. Endorphins are real and my body needs lots of them.

Since I was cleared to exercise a few weeks ago, I've put together a mental plan to get back my fitness. I want to keep myself accountable, so I'm sharing it with you!

Goal: Run a 5K in 20:30 by March 1. Yes, I know this is really slow compared to my PR of 18:47, but it's a time that I feel is respectable given everything (hopeful for a baby soon) and one that will win local races.

When I first started back running seriously about two weeks ago, I could hardly hold a 7:20 pace for a 5K. It's incredible to me what 3 months of no speed or core work will do to your body! Here's my plan for getting back to where I want to be:
Do you have any tips for getting back in shape?

Labels: