I enjoy a good random post every now and then, so in the midst of this busy week, a random post feels good. Here are ten random things about me.
1. I used to figure skate. When I was 6 and Kristi Yamaguchi won the Olympics in Albertville, France, I fell in love with figure skating. A few years later, an amateur hockey team made its home near my hometown and I started skating. I loved it and skated competitively for a few years.
2. I am scared of elevators. I know, it's a pretty irrational fear, but I don't like closed spaces. The ones with double doors don't bother me that much, but I'll do nearly anything to avoid riding in them. I do have to say I've gotten much better over the years, but I won't ride alone.
3. I can't eat anything out of the water. I know, it stinks. I can't tell you how much I really want to eat crab and shrimp during the summer, but it's not going to happen.
4. I've always been a girly girl, but I love the outdoors. Growing up, I don't remember too much about playing inside. Instead, I remember exploring the outdoors with my friends and cousins.
5. I wanted to be a cardiothoracic surgeon. Yes, you read that correctly. It was a dream of mine for years, but one day, the sight of blood started bothering me which ended that dream (and my recordings of Super Surgery on Discovery Health).
6. I finished high school early, college when I was 20 and had my MBA by 22. While it was the right choice for me, I don't think I'd encourage many others to do the same. I've always been in a rush and wish I had taken more time to just breathe. At the same time, I know I'm where I am in my career in part due to those decisions. It's hard to believe I'll be out of college for 10 years this May!
7. I really like to celebrate things. I make a big deal (in a positive way) about little things too. There's not ever a good reason not to celebrate.
8. I smile 99.9% of the time.
9. I'm extremely hard on myself. I expect a lot of myself and try to do it all. While it can be helpful, this isn't the best trait. I'm working on it.
10. I like to improve. This goes back to #9. I like to look for things that I can improve upon. I feel like we all have room for growth and improvement and the process excites me.
There you have it - ten random things about me. What's something random about you?