Friday, March 15, 2013

Health and Fitness Friday

I'm happy to be back linking up with Jen for this week's Health and Fitness Friday!


I had a race this past Saturday and I'm still on Cloud 9 about meeting a goal! I ran the 5K race in 20:15. I was the 2nd female overall and 9th overall. Even though I didn't win, I was all smiles! I haven't ever run a sub-21:00 5K in a race and was so excited when I saw the official results!


Workouts for the Week
As you'll notice, my workouts for the week aren't quite what the usually are. In fact, I haven't been to the gym since Saturday. I'm going to blame the time change on that way. I think it's had us all messed up in the mornings and our evenings have been busy. However, I've still worked out. I've been doing pushups every hour behind my desk {while I silently pray that no one walks in my office} and then some ab work and lunges with weights at home. I've run far fewer days {and miles} than normal, but that's attributed to this time change, something to do most evenings and a busy work week which hasn't allowed me to run during the day {I can normally squeeze in a run at lunch a few times each week, but this week has been packed!}. I'm not trying to make excuses, but I like to look back on these posts and see how I've done.

Friday
Rest Day - I had a race on Saturday!

Saturday:
3.1 miles/20:15 in the Race for Pieces.  I PR'd!
(You can read all about it here.)
Gym workout for arms, abs and glutes.
Another 3.1 miles/ 22:26

Sunday
3.1 miles/ 22:04

Monday
70 pushups (I started doing 10 an hour at work)
25 lunges with 40 pounds

Tuesday
 200 twisting sit-ups with 10 lbs; 80 pushups

Wednesday
80 pushups
1.5 mile walk around the neighborhood with the boys in the stroller

Thursday
80 pushups
3.8 miles

Total Miles: 13.2
Total Workouts: Gym (1), Abs (2), Arms (5), Glutes (2)



Healthy Eating
This week, I decided to track everything I ate. I'm starting from Saturday because I can't really remember last Friday's meals/junk!  Unless otherwise noted, I drank water.

Saturday
Breakfast: Better Oats Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Oatmeal pre-race
Lunch: Plain Cheeseburger at the race
Snack: Froyo with my mom - tart vanilla, a little NY Cheesecake and some Pomegranate topped with mango, kiwi, granola and a few pieces of cookie dough and half a Reese's Cup
Dinner: Buffalo Wild Wings with Kevin - 2 parmesean and garlic boneless ribs and 2 sweet barbecue ones; we shared an order of homemade chips; Coke to drink
Snack: Rice Krispie Treat and a Gheradelli Caramel Square

Sunday
Breakfast: Honey Nut Chex
Lunch: Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich, Chobani (Blueberry) and about three of the mini almond rice bars from the last Nature Box
Dinner: Barbecue Chicken from the crock pot, rice, blackberries

Monday:
Breakfast: Chobani (Strawberry) and some dry Honey Nut Chex
Lunch: Pita with ham, cheese and spinach; roasted red pepper hummus with a few pita chips and about a cup of fresh blackberries.
Snack: Coffee, 1 Reese's Cup
Dinner: Chicken Pot Pie

Tuesday
Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs, two orange danish rolls (and they were good!)
Snack: Handful of trail mix - raisins, peanuts, coconut, some kind of seeds
Lunch: Grilled chicken gyro, baked potato, tea
Dinner: Homemade lasagna, salad with oil and vinegar, fruit, slice of caramel cake (Kevin's birthday)

Wednesday
Breakfast: Banana, tall Caramel Macchiato w/soy, pumpkin bread
Lunch: Chicken, rice and gravy, mac and cheese, collard greens, fruit, pecan pie (Have I mentioned I live in the South? This was at a lunch meeting and the only choice I had.)
Dinner: Cheeseburger minus a bun, baked beans, a few chips, fruit, and a small slice of caramel cake

Thursday
Breakfast: Grits, some dry Honey Nut Chex
Lunch: Small salad with ham, mozzerella cheese and oil and vinegar; strawberries and blackberries; pita chips and hummus; trail mix
Dinner: Cheeseburger and potato salad (we ate out at a local restaurant), tea
Snack: Chips and one chocolate hazelnut pirouette rolled wafer


Things I've Noticed
I need to eat more vegetables.

I need to eat more fruit.

I do a good job drinking mostly water. Other than one coke, tea, and some coffee, I only drank water.

I did really well taking lunch to work. Lately, I've been eating out too much at lunch and I'm proud of myself this week. I only ate out for lunch twice (once for Kevin's birthday and once for a lunch meeting).

I don't count calories, but I do realize that my foods aren't exactly meeting the USDA's "healthy eating guidelines." My goal is to work on that this week.

AND, last week I promised photos. I really want to see the difference on May 10th.

Y'all, believe me when I say this is already a huge improvement.


3 comments:

Katie Hall said...

Hi Anna! Just found you from the fitness friday link up! Awesome 5k time last week...wow! I'm so excited to start following your blog!

strawberryhallsforever.blogspot.com

Kathy said...

you can do it! i love fitness posts so the more the better.

counting calories sounds tedious but once you get the hang of it and learn what foods work for you/what you need to eat, you can pretty much eyeball it and be done with calorie counting. i did it for a good month and now i don't have to...i just read the labels (or google them) and i'm good.

Jen said...

ANNA!!! Oh. My. Gosh. I can't even begin to understand how you ran a 5K in 20 minutes, girlfriend. You are AMAZING!!!! So proud of you for reaching that goal!!! And PS...your "before" picture looks better than my after. Haha!! Keep up the GREAT work sweetie! I love how you are logging food. I feel like I need to start doing that a little more too :-)