Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The First Six Months.

I can't believe half of the year is over already! You know they say time flies when you're having fun, and well, we're having fun!

I thought it would be cool to take a look at my goals for this year and how they're coming six months in. And if you remember, my theme for the year is to Soak It In (that's why these goals are all listed by category).


Soak In Faith
  • Read the Bible Through: Ok, so at the beginning of the year, KT and I planned to read the Bible through. Sadly, we've failed at this goal. I read my Bible, but I haven't been following the plan to read it through in a year as closely as I need to. I'm revising this goal and aiming to have it read by next June 30th.
  • Pray Daily:  I've done a fairly good job at having quiet time each day. Whether it's first thing in the morning, during lunch or even when we lay down with the kids at night, I've done a lot better with this than I used to. And it makes a HUGE difference in my life. 
  • Go to Sunday School Regularly:   One of the things that was really important to me this year was to get better plugged in at our church and start going to Sunday School regularly. I'm happy to say that we've gotten involved in a Sunday School class and the boys are excited to go to their classes, too, which is a great thing!
  • Continue Reading Bible Stories with the Boys Each Night: The boys love to read Bible stories. Right now, their favorite story is about David and Goliath. We gave K.C. The Jesus Storybook Bible for Christmas and we've read it through once already. I love how they want to read about Jesus each night and when we ask them who the Hero is (that's how Jesus is referred to in this Bible before His birth), they immediately say "Jesus!"
  • Make a Bible Verse Memory Book:  This is something I haven't done yet. I saw this on a blog and pinned it.  I really want to make one for myself.

Soak In Relationships
  • Soak in Time with My Husband: I think Kevin and I do a good job of spending time together. Sure, life gets busy and we don't always have the time we'd like, but we do a great time in fitting quality time with each other.  I try to make sure I am intentional about spending quality time with him each day.  I don't think there's much that can make a marriage stronger than by carving out quality time for each other.
  • Soak in Time with Our Boys: As I've said countless times, getting to be K.C. and Kaden's Anna Belle is not something that I take for granted.  It's a huge blessing.  It's amazing to me how fast they're growing and we both want to soak in as much fun as we can. Having Fridays off in the summer has been a huge blessing because I've been able to have what feels like so much extra time to have fun with our little guys.
  • Soak in Time with My Family and Friends: We've had the opportunity to spend some time at the beach with both of our families in addition to just seeing them. It's been great (but I still haven't ridden a horse with my dad) and I'm looking forward to lots more fun this fall!

Soak In Fitness
  • I want to run a race each month: For the most part, I've done this. To date, I've run 7 seven races with two each in March, April and May. I was supposed to run a race in February that was cancelled as well as one in June that happened to be when I had a virus. I'm so excited about the upcoming races this fall!
  • I want to run a 5K in less than 21 minutes: I've done this in a few races and my new race PR is 20:25!
  • Complete the 100 Burpee Challenge with KT.  (April 10 will be Day 100!): We haven't done this. It's still something I want to do before the year is up. Maybe I should start today!
  • I want to have better abs by this summer: It's a matter of personal opinion, but I think I accomplished this one.
  • I want to run 750 miles: I'm on track to run 750 miles by the end of the year. 
  • I want to workout at the gym 140 times.

Soak In Fun
  • Take fun family vacations to the beach: We went to the beach for an extended weekend with Kevin's parents in April and in June, we spent a week with my parents in Garden City.
  • Take the boys to a Clemson game: Since it's not football season, we haven't crossed this one off, but we're planning to make it to some games this fall.
  • Go to the mountains: This one falls in the fall as well. 
  • Take a trip with KT even if it's only for a long weekend: We haven't done this yet, but I'm hoping we'll be able to squeeze in a long weekend or two and maybe something fun for our anniversary in October!
  • Have one fun date a month: Kevin and I do pretty good about going on dates. Sometimes those dates are just time together and a quick run to Target, but we do a good job about fitting in time together. I'm thankful that I have a husband that values time together as much as I do!

What else?
  • Read at least one book each month.  I don't know that I've read one a month, but I've read two in the last three weeks and finish another which is pretty good. I don't like to sit around at home and read when I could be spending time with my family, so I started spending my lunch reading some days. I really love reading, so it's been great.
  • Eat out less.  This is debatable. While I definitely don't cook every night, I'm trying to do better about planning our eating out around when we have things going on. Thanks to this month's Southern Living, I have a few new recipes I want to try.
  • Finish our books. I haven't met the deadlines I set for finishing our family photo books, but I will get them done this year (that's 2012 family, Kaden's 3 year book which is almost complete and K.C.'s 5 year book). I'm going to try to do better about laying out the pages when I upload pictures to my computer.
  • Capture memories.  We've used our special jar some this year. I can't wait to see what's in it!
  • Decorate our house.  I'm doing good on this one! I have so much to share. I've painted our dining room and this past weekend, we painted the kitchen and half bath. I've ordered a few things from Joss & Main and a few others things to do before those rooms feel complete. We've also updated the light switch plates and air vent returns in most of the house. I have a few more projects I want to get done during the summer, but the largest ones that I really wanted to do are nearly complete!
  • Stress less and not think so much.  I'm doing a lot better with this!

How are you doing with your 2013 goals?

4 comments:

Kayla Peveler said...

Ahhh this has motivated me. You are so inspiring, girlfriend!!! Love that you've separated them by different categories, faith, fitness, etc! So cool!

Julia @ It's Always Ruetten said...

I love this! Great job so far! I am reflecting on what I've done the last six months, personally, professionally, and on my blog, too!

I hope you have a chance to join in on the special link party I am hosting to reflect on blog posts from the first half of the year!

It starts tomorrow morning and runs every Wednesday this month!

Cheers,
Julia
It's Always Ruetten

Katie Vander Velde said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Vander Velde said...

Your post inspired me to take a look at my own resolutions and although I'm not failing, there is certainly room for improvement!

Right now, I'm trying to form some new daily habits. Why are good habits so hard to form??

Thanks for the encouragement today! You are doing an amazing job at working toward your goals! Great job!! :)